Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted, and to be honest, every time I think about the computer it makes me tired. I never know if I can get into Hotmail, if the internet will crash, whatever. It's even been bad at work. So it just depresses me to think about it, and I have about 10 partly written emails in my drafts folder in Hotmail, so if you are someone who has written to me and I haven't responded, I appologize.

Speaking of being tired, Don and I have found it both strange and a relief to be out of the country for this election. I will admit it now: we are non-voters this time. We have what I think is a pretty valid excuse; moving our family across the world, starting new jobs and new schools for the kids has been pretty intense. I tell myself it really wouldn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things if I voted or not, but I've always been a believer that it is a citizen's duty to vote, and, well, I blew it. So I guess I feel guilty, is what I'm trying to say.

The reality of it is, though, that there are things about America I worry about far more than who or what party is in power. I am saddened by the political cynicism that pervades our society, eating away at our trust and diverting energy away from things that matter. When people assume that the "other side" are idiots or fanatics, how can real discussion of issues take place? When the first rule of debate is to call your opponent stupid, where can people go to weigh their options?

At my school right now, our third-grade unit is World Beliefs, including religion. One of the goals is to teach the beginnings of the skill of dialectical thought, or thinking about two or more points of view at the same time. This is a tall order for kids, especially when most adults seem to avoid this exercise in tolerance, and instead regress to labeling the opponent as deluded or unintelligent. As I understand it, dialectical discourse does not necessarily mean that both parties agree, but that each recognizes that the other has valid points to make.

I believe that engaging in political or idealogical name-calling, even on the ground level, does more harm to our country than any politician. When we no longer respect and acknowledge the ideas of our philosophical opposites, we diminish our own ability to reason and to persuade. It undermines the strength of our own opinions and lowers debate to school-yard bullying.

It's tempting to dismiss people with different views, but that is the lazy way out. Actually understanding another person's views is far more difficult, but the benefits are that we have a better framework for verbalizing our own ideas, and we are better able to persuade others, instead of just appealing to people's emotions. I believe that American's are capable of this kind of reasoned, rational debate, and long for a more civilized way of discussing sensitive topics, like politics and religion. My hope is that people learn how to think about more than one point of view at the same time. And they are welcome to join my third-graders as they learn how.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lee, I couldn't agree more. Many years ago I attended a several-days management training. The only part I clearly remember is this: one of the most deleterious ways to minimize a person or point of view is to demonize it. When that happens, we no longer deal with "it" within the context of normal human interactions, respect and conventions. And, as you point out, when we relegate the Other Side to a non-human status (by name-calling, bigotry, racism, and other forms of bullying) we also forfeit a large measure of our own civility, humanity, capacity to dialogue, and so forth. So although we might "win" at the moment, we're almost certain to lose in the long run. (Of course, when this happens we'll blame it on the Thing we demonized.) This came to mind as I endured this year's negative political campaigns. Last week I changed my senatorial vote upon hearing, on the way home from work, one too many demonizing mud slings.

I think it's great that you're teaching dialectical thought to students young enough to absorb this critical reasoning skill.

ferskner said...

I enjoyed reading this, Lee. I came home last night full of excitement at watching the election coverage and got on Facebook to check my messages, and had to deal with a guy I'd never met (I know him through a friend) verbally abusing me because of my politics, of which he knew nothing. I don't care about how he votes, but I do care that he has so little respect for me to discredit my right to make a decision. It instantly made the conversation combative, and it was really frustrating, so it's good to hear that you're trying to keep others out of that pattern.

It's kind of too bad you didn't get to see last night, though - I thought it was fun. But I also like election season. :)

colleeeen said...

i will be your cheerleader for logical, dialectical thinking.

two-way, two-way, hip hip hooray! goooooo dialectic!!

silliness aside, it is maddeningly absent in most of the adults i attempt to have conversations with - it's as if giving consideration to alternative viewpoints means i am abandoning "the right way." i am giddy with relief that the voting is over.

Do You Think I Am An Automaton said...

Lee,
You are right on. Logic, kindness, common sense, and respect are hard to come by in political discussions. Unfortunately we are a very monkey see, monkey do society and when our general population sees the mudslinging done by elected officials, pundits, and radio talk show hosts, it seems that a large number of people choose to mimic those sources. I do think that people with compassion, common sense, and graciousness tend to extend those qualities into all aspects of their own lives, politics included, so maybe the larger problem that we need to work on in the general population is civility and respect in all matters. It just becomes more magnified and agregious under the pressure of the political microscope.

Elizabeth said...

I love your post and all the comments that have been made. I can't properly express in words how important this topic is to me! I tell people often that one of the most important things I can teach my children is the skill of dialectical thought.

The fact that Jeff took time to try to see both sides of issues is actually among the top reasons that I married him! I just didn't find this among many guys my age at Arizona State. It's too bad. Like Colleeen said, it's as if they believe that the act of seeking to understand another's point of view is somehow damaging to their own. I believe that the opposite is true.

Thanks for such a thought-provoking post!

Jordan F. said...

Hi Mrs. Preston, I think you're website is REALLY cool and I miss all of you!