Sunday, October 12, 2008

Family Food: Curry Chicken

We haven't been doing to badly, eating-wise. We eat a lot more Chinese food, of my own making, plus approximations of our old favorites, minus the Mexican food (that has been sorely lacking, and I plan to rectify that, soon). But the family have been liking the stuff I've been making, well more like inventing, for dinner each night. I can't cook exactly like I did in the US, in part because some ingredients are different, but mostly because I'm lacking my kitchen equipment, which is still sitting in a warehouse in Shanghai. We should get our things on Tuesday. We hope.

One new creation that has become a favorite here is curry chicken. The little convenience store has packages of frozen pre-cubed chicken for cheap, so I stir-fry those with some onion and garlic. When it's about browned, I add cubed potatoes and carrots, then curry paste (powder would work), chicken bullion and a little water. I let it simmer in the wok until the vegetables are tender, then add broccoli and/or cabbage (cauliflower would be good), cover and cook it a minute more, and it's done. If I think the sauce isn't thick enough, I add a little cornstarch and water at the end. We eat it over rice, which is already waiting, thanks to my trusty rice cooker.

2 comments:

ferskner said...

Tasters! I thought this was the year of Mexican food??

Lee said...

I just got my spices for that today!