Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bake a cake

Thank goodness for my sister-in-law’s birthday. I was trying to figure out what to give her and decided to bake her a cake. We’ve been trying to avoid over-comforting ourselves with food while we’re on our long wait, so I haven’t been baking as much. But I love to bake; I always feel better after making something, and Emma joined in saying, “Baking calms me.” I enjoy watching the batter change and take shape as each ingredient is added, and my kids laugh at me when I call them over to look at how “beautiful” it is. I need the creative process and cooking is just that, a way to create, with the best part being you get to share it with someone else. Plus I get to lick the bowl.

When I was growing up my dad was the same way. Often on Sunday afternoon he would get baking, making various cookies, cakes, and desserts. I remember trying to help, but he loves the process so much that I would barely start to stir, when he would grab the spoon from me and finish it off. I had to laugh as I baked with Emma, because I caught myself doing the same thing a couple of times. Well, I guess I’ve earned the right, and when Emma bakes with her kids she can have first dibs on the spoon.

So, following is the recipe that Emma and I invented. We didn’t have cream, so we used sour cream, and we added raspberry syrup because it sounded like it would be good, and it was. We put it on a layered white cake, with raspberry jam between the layers and it turned out pretty good. But like I said to Don, I felt better and more relaxed even before I got to try it. That’s what baking does for me, just like for my dad, and I’m glad to pass on the tradition to my own children. Thanks, Stephanie, for giving us an excuse to bake a cake.

Raspberry Ganache

1 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
4 Tbs. butter
¼ cup light corn syrup
¾ cup sour cream
¼ cup raspberry syrup

Melt chocolate, butter, corn syrup and sour cream in microwave on high for about 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir with a wisk until smooth (microwave for more time if chocolate is not melted enough). Add raspberry syrup and stir. Cool till slightly thickened and pour over cake, or cool completely, whip lightly, and spread like a frosting.

1 comment:

ferskner said...

That's funny that baking does that for you - I don't like baking as much as I like cooking. I feel better when I cook, but I do love the sound of cake batter falling!